Monday, February 13, 2006

Viva NYC

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah, I have booked a suite at Madison Shark in NYC for 5 weeks from now and counting. I’ve booked my flight, and I have secured myself a window seat for each leg and I feel ever so clever that I won’t be suffering from nicotine withdrawal on the flights.

Sharky’s pictures of beautiful snow, the sort I haven’t seen since living in Sheffield over 12 years ago, have left me very excited. But now, whereas only 24 hours ago I was hoping for a similar snowfall during my stay, for I too have read Miss Smilla’s Feelings for Snow and had daydreams of navigating my way around Central Park by the touch of the wind on my cheek, the colour of the ice or the incline of a snow slope, and of being stuck there for a little bit, now I’m confronted with the experiment!

I know it’s not the same airline, but the timing couldn’t be worse. Luckily though I’m not easily scared and my biggest worry is actually whether to pack for spring or snow and which Murakami book to read on the plane. In the meantime I’m gemming up with New York reads, Auster (see list) and now Proulx and I’m open for suggestions too. I reckon I could fit 1 maybe 2 more NYC reads before I depart.

The experiment is also likely to deter the shark from anything but travel by water and I fear that Hernewich Hill will be changed beyond all recognition by the time she does visit. The Post Office, nearly opposite the Shark & TH residence, by Sainsbury, is being knocked down and a 4-5 storey building will replace it. Shocking. I also previously neglected to mention the new bakery, which sells about 4 bread rolls. We are so trendy.

Oh my God, the new man in Corry, who I always knew was going to be a baddy, just confessed to Emily Bishop that he killed Ernest all those years ago.

No comments: