I’ve spent the majority of the last 2 weeks travelling by plane, train and in life threatening taxis, while living out of a suitcase and sleeping in 3 different beds. For this trip the majority of my luggage consisted of tissues, medicine and very warm clothes as I caught an absolute corker of a cold on the plane back from NYC. It really showed too, I was miserable, permanently cold, I had a bright red nose, small and puffy eyes, peeling nostrils and I tired by a pathetic 4pm. Plus as I still had jet lag early on in the week all my thoughts were wrapped up in cotton wool. As I was due to travel to 2 cities on Thursday and Friday, to be on my feet all day and to work until the early hours with only a brief rest on Saturday afternoon/evening I was prepared for an almighty fight with my health. Luckily by some sort of miracle although my cold was in full force on Thursday morning, by that afternoon everything had dried up and full health and strength gradually returned over the next couple of days.
Depeche Mode were absolutely brilliant. I had never seen them live before and although I had been told that they are brilliant live, you just can’t imagine it until you experience it for yourself. Dave Gahan has inspired me to get a body (not quite) like his and I plan to begin the regime on Wednesday. He had the whole of the Stadium eating out of the palm of his hands as he jutted about like a cross between Iggy, James Brown and Prince. Wow. I spent the whole of Friday bursting into spontaneous versions of “I feellllllllllllll love, this is the dawning of my life” as this is the moment that both shows really really kicked off. Walking in my Shoes was electric. Martin Gore has the voice of an Angel and when he sung Home he was positively angelic. As well as tonnes of old favourites there was lots of new songs from Playing the Angel, their new album, and seeing them performed live has made me love the album. I am now such a fan that I even joined in the Mexican wave before Friday’s concert (just don’t tell anyone). Dave Gahan has knocked Bobby Gillespie off the Sexiest Man in Rock and Roll No. 1 spot.
A few staff had travelled up for the Manchester gig so I had some nice people to play with, in fact I sat next to the WB who is a big fan and told me lots of interesting tit-bits throughout the performance. He yanked me to the side of the stage for the encores during which time I bumped into my only minor indiscretion of the last year and had a bit of a flirt. The flirting continued later when we popped to the band’s hotel for late drinks. The WB rang me the next day and said “the poor man looked terrified” and that I had him locked into place in a pincer movement but I swear it isn’t true. The minor indiscretion confirmed this the following day when we flirted some more. We didn’t actually get anyway near to being indiscreet, just for the record Shark!
One of the Depeche projections features a sexy nudey lady applying liquid black eyeliner and during the hotel drinks I felt inspired to source a black eye liner and hit the jackpot with a lovely but clearly mad World Music lady from work and blacked up. Her mad French friend said that the band were very machine but good. Mad as brushes, the pair of em.
I’m buying my own black eye liner on the way to Sunday’s gig.
No comments:
Post a Comment