Thursday, December 08, 2005

i had planned to be home by 10

I’ve decided that I must get out more and I began by seeing the wonderful Richard Hawley at Catster’s SOJ last night. What a lovely venue and Richard was brilliant. It was a bit of an odd night though. Originally we were going to meet up in a pub that my first boyfriend drank in and it made me titter enough to mention it to the wonderful boss. Then in a fit of nostalgia I bored him and another colleague with a sight seeing trip of my youth as we passed through Hammersmith in a taxi. We normally get an Account cab but due to long delays we ended up hailing one. So used to just jumping out at the other end, that’s exactly what we did. It was funny when he had to toot his horn to get us back to pay. It made us all laugh like 3 giddy kids.

Then I had another blast from the past when on entering the Foyer my eyes fell on a man I had snogged a few times, oh 8 or 9 years ago. By now I was revealing in my story telling, so I told the WB something about the man, even though I wasn’t sure if I had made it up or not. I told him that he was the original inspiration for Ebeneezer Goode in The Shamen’s song. It’s quite a claim to fame and the WB, being quite the Lord of Darkness, thought it was hilarious. So spirits were high even before we had a drink and we proceeded on a belly full of one sandwich.

During Richard’s last song a man behind me started a loud conversation. I looked back on impulse and was surprised to be greeted with a hug and a kiss from Ed Harcourt. Nice man. I introduced him to the WB. He loves it when I pull off a stunt like that. I wondered if it would carry on being a night of coincidence and I was not in the least surprised when I found myself sitting next to the man from the foyer, who is now tour managing. I flashed him a smile but didn’t really get anything back. Ten minutes later, out of nowhere he said loudly “I remember you”. He didn’t remember my name but as I told him “I’ve lived a whole lifetime since we last met”. Of course all this gave the WB an opportunity for some lively Laydee Brockwell baiting and a funny half hour. I asked him outright, like I do, and yes he is Ebeneezer Goode. Ha ha.

All the while I’m with the WB who likes a drink and another colleague who is ramming down the cider as he’s on a pass out. He has 2 kids. I kept up and actually initiated 3 last rounds of the night, one after the other. We all got through £30 each easily and I only had £3.50 of £35 left before we inevitably stayed for the after show. That’s when catster turned up. I felt awful as I ponced 2 drinks and 2 fags off her and I have since decided that I should always leave when I’ve run out of money.

The new rule has quickly come into being cos I said the wrong thing again last night. After an excitable night it just came out wrong. I had called a cab and the catster and a friend of hers were going to jump in. What they didn’t know is that we get told off at work if we have too much waiting time, so I got a little fretful when the catster’s mate said her leisurely goodbyes. I then proceeded to ruin the kind gesture in the rain by panicking and telling her that she might have to get the tube if she was too much longer. It just came out wrong. She looked quite affronted and so I topped it all by spending the entire journey trying to make up for my gaff by grilling her in an effort to show her that I thought that she was great. This must have been sickening. I should have just explained and said sorry about that. It’s so simple and easy to see that now. Still, it gave me something to worry about all day.

There was another little surprise of the evening, but I’ll let catster tell you as people are always beating her to things cos she’s actually out doing stuff. SEE HOW NICE I AM? Tell your friend.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS WB said I wasn’t boring. Actually it was “what ever you are you’re not boring”. Made my night.

No comments: